Friday, December 4, 2009

Dashing through the Snow . . .

       A week from this Sunday is my Christmas Stamp Camp, and it's been great fun preparing projects for everyone to make at it!  If you are in the area, I hope you will come join the fun!!!
        One of the cards at the stamp camp uses two of my favorite new techniques.  The first is masked dry embossing -- not sure if this is the technical name for it -- but best I can come up with for now!  I first saw this technique on Patty Bennett's blog.   With this technique, you use a piece of chipboard, or a thinner wood frame as part of the sandwich for your embossing.  Then, the open area in the frame or in or around the chipboard will not be embossed.  In my card below, I used a frame with an oval opening, and that left me with Petals a Plenty flowers embossed around the oval.  I used the flat oval space to stamp my focal image -- really love the Dasher stamp! 





The second new technique I used is stamping with shimmer paint.  To make it appear as though Dasher is walking through the woods on a snowy evening, I inked up a snowflake stamp with Frost White Shimmer Mist and stamped that several times.  I used a dauber to swipe some shimmer mist to create some snowy ground underneath Dasher as well.  Then, Bashful Blue ink was sponged around the oval, and actually the ink resists the shimmer paint on the snowflake, for a neat effect.  Finally, I added some chunky white glitter on the ground and snowflakes, and in Dasher's antlers.  A bit hard to tell from the photo, but there is lots of sparkle on this card -- the white cardstock used was even shimmer white.  

The Chocolate Chip frame around Dasher was cut on the Big Shot using the Scallop Oval die, which automatically cuts the scallop frame, as well as an oval piece, which you could use for another project.  There is a layer of Chocolate Chip paper under the Shimmer White, and everything is layered onto a Close to Cocoa base.

I think this would make an elegant Christmas card or thank you note! 

I have another fun project using the Dasher stamp to show soon!

- Michelle

No comments: