Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Wicked Fun Halloween Card

The weather has been so warm the past few days here that it is really hard to believe that it is Fall, and Halloween is just around the corner!   I don't usually send too many Halloween cards, but they sure are fun to make!  The one I have to share with you today is a CASE from card in Stampin' Success, a magazine Stampin' Up! publishes for its demonstrators -- it's a wonderful resource, and actually was one of the perks that enticed me to sign up more than five and a half years ago now! 

Here's my version of the card:




The photo colors are a little off, but that is Rich Razzleberry for the card's base.  The fun polka dot paper  is from the Wicked Fun Specialty Designer Paper pack (on page 172 in the Idea Book).  The words and witches boots are from the Wicked Cool stamp set (on page 23 of the Idea Book).  They were stamped using Black Staz-On ink.  I loved adding the rhinestone jewels to the boots, too.  And, I spritzed the whole card first with the Color Spritz Tool and a Basic Black Stampin' Write marker and then with a light mist of the Silver Foil Smooch Spritz. 

The finishing touch was the ribbon -- in the Stampin' Success, the sample uses Whisper White Satin Ribbon and a razzleberry button with twine.  I decided to change that up (necessity is the mother of invention as I discovered that (gasp!) I was out of White Satin!), and go with the Basic Black satin ribbon again.  I thought there is a "ruching" technique, where you pull a thread or two from the ribbon and it will gather, but couldn't get that to work, and didn't want to pull out a needle and thread so decided to take a "faux ruching" approach -- simply folding and bunching the ribbon into a line of sticky strip.  Super easy, and I love the end result! 

I also wanted a little more bling, so decided to use one of the antique brads wrapped around the ribbon.  And, fit one of the rhinestone jewels right into the center.  Ta da!

Hope you like it! 

- Michelle





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your newest ideas, Michelle. That pumpkin on the newsprint DP really pops. Love the 3D effect with the embossing folders on the pumpkin! That Wicked Cool card is so neat. I haven't tried that ribbon bunching yet and I love how it turned out for you. Thank you for sharing your creativity...you are so darn inovative, Michelle!!!
Marlene Caravello

Jana Weaver said...

Love this card...just beautiful! (so glad I have one of my own!!)