Thursday, April 28, 2011

Build a Blossom -- CASE of the Occasions Sample

At my friend Agnes's workshop a while back, our make and take was a variation of the square card sample shown for the Build a Blossom stamp set on page 12 of the Occasions Mini.  I changed the color scheme to Baja Breeze, Pretty in Pink, Daffodil Delight and Certainly Celery and added a few other fun touches:
   
    

This card is embossed with the Framed Tulips Textured Impressions Embossing Folder, using a technique I first learned from Sharon Field's blog (the link should take you directly to the proper post -- she has a great step-by-step tutorial there).  I think it is so neat how you can essentially fit this embossing folder to any size paper you want to emboss using Sharon's technique!

I also wanted to do something interesting and different for the flower center.  I happened to have my Daffodil Delight Pompom Trim nearby, and the light bulb went on when I saw it.  I pulled out my Sticky Pages and discovered they are a bit hard to punch through, but very easy to cut circles out with the Big Shot.  I cut my circles with the little circle on the Fun Flowers die.  I first used one side of the adhesive to hold the flowers together, then pulled the cover off the other side of the adhesive and wound my pompom trim onto it, starting in the center, working out.

The night of the workshop, most everyone tried to do the pompom trim first onto the Sticky Pages circle, but we discovered the problem with that is then it is very difficult to peel the cover off the opposite side of the adhesive to attach it to the card.  I think it comes off better when attached to the card stock first.

The pompom trim was something that I wasn't sure if I was going to like at first, but have grown to love.  If you haven't tried it yet and would like to, be sure to order soon because it is only available until April 30, when the Occasions Mini ends!   

Thanks for stopping by!

- Michelle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your flower cards is simple and yet so beautiful, Michelle! Love your color choices and the pompom ribbon for the stamen! Love it! Marlene Caravello