Thursday, April 21, 2011

An Egg-cellent Discovery?

Sorry, couldn't resist the pun!  At a recent class, I wanted to come up with a way to decorate the rose-covered basket shown here, that was, well, a little less girly.  I decided that instead of so many flowers, one solution would be to add some eggs.  But, the problem was, how to easily create some little eggs?  Fortunately, inspiration struck!  I decided to try using two oval punches to create an egg, and my little experiment worked pretty well . . . so, I took some photos of how I did it and can now share my discovery with you. 

I started with the 1-3/8 x 5/8" Oval and 1-3/4 x 7/8" Oval Punches (mine are still "old style" -- working well, so haven't needed to upgrade yet) and a scrap of Whisper White Card Stock that was handy on my desk:



(By the way, I'm guessing that this would also work to make a larger egg with the 1-3/4" x 7/8" and 2" x 1-3/8" Ovals, but haven't tested that yet . . . ). 

I punched out an oval, using the smaller of the two punches:


Then, I positioned my punched oval into the larger oval punch, until I had it lined up so that it would give me the egg shape I wanted: 


Here's how my punched piece turned out.  (Not too bad, although I might eventually trim this one a little on each side to round it out a bit more.) 


I thought my little sample egg was too boring just white, so I stamped it using the flower image from the A Good Set (colored with Melon Mambo and Tangerine Tango Stampin' Write Markers):


Then, I sponged a little Melon Mambo Classic Ink on it.  Here's my finished egg, ready to be used to decorate a basket or a cute little card . . .



As you can see, these eggs are easy to decorate . . . and could be made from any color of card stock or from designer paper.  Lots of fun possibilities!

Hope you'll try this punch art technique out!  If you do, I'd love to see what you make!  Please be sure to leave me a comment or send me an email with your photo or link to your photo of your artwork.

Thanks for stopping by!

- Michelle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is an egg-cellent discovery, Michelle! I am going to have to keep that in mind for next Easter! Thank you for sharing! Marlene Caravello