Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sending Springtime Smiles Hybrid Card

It feels a little funny to be sharing a spring-themed card on a day that has been perfectly summery here!  The kids are out of school now, and not only had swim lessons today, but a wonderful time at the pool near our house with some friends.  Plus, our weather is finally warm!  Yeah!!! 

Anyway, before it is officially summer, I wanted to share this card with you:


The frame around the focal image came from a piece leftover when I die cut the "eggs" for this easel card.   (The designer paper around the frame is a pattern from the Occasions Mini, so the actual designer paper is no longer available to purchase; however, it is still available as a digital download for My Digital Studio.)  I liked the frame that was leftover so much, I decided to create something in My Digital Studio to use with it.  Here's what the printout I started from looked like:


I designed the images on an 8.5 x 11 scrapbook page in My Digital Studio, and made them so I could get four card fronts per printed page.  After that, I just trimmed the four images apart and fit them to the frames.  I used Tombo Mono Adhesive around the edge of the frames to attach the frame to the image. 

For the base of the card, I used a piece of Crumb Cake Card Stock.  I layered another, smaller piece of Crumb Cake on top of that.  I had embossed that piece in the Big Shot, using first the Vintage Wallpaper Textured Impressions Embossing Folder, and then the new Flower Garden embossing folder.  If you look carefully at the photo above, you can see the Flower Garden image very clearly, and the Vintage Wallpaper image is very subtle.

I added some Very Vanilla seam binding ribbon for a finishing touch.

It's such great fun to be able to combine digital images with "traditional" card making supplies to create something new!  I encourage you to try it, if you haven't already!

Thanks for stopping by!

- Michelle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am always amazed at how creative you are with MDS. This is such a cool idea, Michelle! I love love the colors and style of the card. Marlene Caravello