Thursday, June 16, 2011

Simple Things Card

Hi everyone!  When I saw the Touch of Kindness set in the Summer Mini catalog, I knew I wouldn't be able to resist it!  The images are adorable, and I love the sentiments in the set. 

Here's a card I created using the set -- I made it as a card featuring a special technique for a swap with my friend Marlene, and as part of a layout challenge with my friend Charlene.  And, actually this card fits the current challenge (#125 -- water, water everywhere!) over at Late Night Stampers as well. 


The card base is Baja Breeze, and the shiny, swirly background layer was created using a special technique.  It is a version of Wax Paper Resist; however, rather than crumpling up the wax paper, you run it through an embossing folder.  I ran my wax paper through my Big Shot using the Elegant Lines embossing folder.  I like how the Elegant Lines image echos the water splashing from the fountain.  You iron the wax paper between two sheets of glossy card stock, and some of the wax transfers to the card stock.  Then, when you add ink to the glossy card stock, the wax resists the ink.  For my card, I sponged Baja Breeze Classic Ink onto my glossy card stock.

I added a strip of Whisper White Card Stock, which I had punched with the Scallop Trim Border Punch, behind the Wax Paper Resist piece.

The bird bath image and sentiment from Touch of Kindness were stamped with Black Stazon onto Shimmery White Card Stock and then watercolored using a blender pen and ink from my Daffodil Delight, Cherry Cobbler, Wild Wasabi and Basic Grey ink pads.

Here's a close up of the coloring:



And, here's an even closer look, so you can see the Crystal Effects I added to the water drops and a hint of the shimmer in the paper (if you look very closely).


The layout for the card came from Splitcoaststampers Sketch Challenge #13 -- an old one, but a good one!

I have another card made with this set to show you soon, too! 

Thanks for stopping by.

- Michelle




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the wax paper resist look Michelle. I will have to try it out.

angelwings said...

Hi michelle im trying to email you please could you contact me on julieelizabethmccartney@msn.com i love the xmas wreath

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this cute little card with me, Michelle. Love the wax paper resist idea too! I was totally stumped as to what you used. Thanks for explaining the process and thank you for the 3D version! You are the best! Marlene Caravello