Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Gently Falling with Spice Cake Napkin Fold Card

Those of you who follow my blog regularly know that I enjoy swapping regularly with my amazing and talented friend Marlene Caravello.  We finished up another of our swaps recently, and so I'm ready to share some of those projects with you! 

One of the challenges we came up with was to create a fancy fold card, and that card should be for Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Christmas.  I chose to make a napkin fold card for Thanksgiving.  I followed this excellent tutorial from Splitcoaststampers to create the napkin fold (I wanted to do the fancy scalloping around the edges, but must confess I bungled my first try with that badly -- I punched corners first when I should have started with edges -- then decided that for this card, I actually liked the straight edges better anyway.)

Here's a photo of my finished card closed:


Then, after removing the belly band:

And, opened to show the inside:



Close up of the stamping on the interior panel:


I used Sahara Sand for the card base, then the Spice Cake Designer Series Paper for the accent layers on top of that.  The interior panel is Very Vanilla, stamped with the Gently Falling Stamp Set.  I used the Rock n Roll technique on the colored leaves, inking first with More Mustard, then with Cajun Craze, before stamping.  The outlines and greetings (from the Perfect Pairs set) were stamped in Soft Suede. 

For the belly band, I used Pool Party Ruffled Ribbon and Sahara Sand Card Stock as the base.  I scalloped the Sahara Sand using the Scallop Trim Border Punch.  I added a layer of Spice Cake Designer Paper on top of that.  The medallion piece was created using Sahara Sand and Very Vanilla pieces cut with the Perfect Pennants die and Big Shot.  I punched out a Pool Party circle to go under a fussy-cut leaf I had stamped using the same Rock n Roll technique as for the interior panel. 

Thanks for stopping by!

- Michelle


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This unusual fold and gorgeous colored Fall project blew my club members' minds. Their eyes just popped out of the sockets when I opened it slowly in front of them all. Same reaction I had when I received it. All I can say is "WOW"...what an amazing work of art!!! Love it. Marlene Caravello