Monday, October 24, 2011

Halloween Cupcake Fun!

Just over a week ago, I had a fun afternoon creating some Halloween projects with my friends in my hostess club.   A while back, maybe even when the new Idea Book came out in July, one of my friends requested that one of our projects be the cupcake holder shown on page 67 of the Idea Book.  So, I set to work, searching the blogosphere to see if anyone had come up with a pattern we could use!  And, lo and behold, none other than the amazing JanTink (aka Janine Tinklenberg) already had figured it out and has an amazing, super-easy-to-follow, and in her usual style, incredibly fun to read tutorial on her blog -- and, at the risk that you'll pop over there and forget to come back here to see what else we made, here's the link to Jan's tutorial.  (Thank you, Jan!!!)  Although, in case you need incentive to keep you reading this whole post, you won't want to miss the photos of the cupcakes we frosted to put in our "cupcake thrones."  (Thank you, Catherine and Jana, for supplying the cupcakes, icing, and fondant!!!)

So, armed with Jan's method for putting a "cupcake throne" together, I set about designing a throne fit for a Halloween cupcake.  I liked the pennants on Jan's sample, so stuck with that, but decided to try to fit images from Spooky Bingo Bits on them.  Here's what I came up with:




Plus, I created a little 3x3" note card to match:



The base card stock on these projects is Pumpkin Pie, and the designer series paper is Just Add Cake.  I ran the designer paper through the Big Shot in the Spider Web embossing folder, then sanded the raised areas. 

The pennants were created with the Petite Pennant Builder Punch, and Whisper White card stock.  Spooky Bingo Bits images were stamped on them in Basic Black Classic Ink, and then I sponged around the pennant in Rich Razzleberry, Old Olive, or Daffodil Delight. 

I always get great ideas from the gals in my hostess club when they re-create my projects, and this time was no exception!  My friend Yuka sponged each pennant with more than one color, leaving no white, and creating almost a tie-dye effect . . . it looked so cool!  Apologies for not taking a photo of that to show you.  I'll have to try to recreate the look soon so I can . . . or maybe Yuka will send me a photo of her project?

I added the little taffeta ribbon knots on here and there using glue dots.  It's my way of making creating the illusion that banners are hanging on ribbons, without actually going through the trouble of glueing the ribbon on behind them. 

As I mentioned above, perhaps the best part of this project was the cupcakes!  Jana had the brilliant idea of testing out the new Sweet Pressed Cookie Stamps to see whether they would stamp into fondant.  Guess what?!  It worked with the marshmallow fondant Jana made!!!  Here's Jana displaying how the cupcakes turned out:



And, here's our cute little Jack O' Lantern cupcake on its throne: 




Thanks for stopping by! 

- Michelle

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG...this is so stinkin' cool!!! I love...love...love what you did here, Michelle!!! Thank you so much too for the Jan link (you risk taker!). Are you kidding me...I would never forget my way back to your fab blog!!! I would, however, like the recipe & instructions for the fondant from your upline, "Jan" (hi, Jan!). That is so darn cool!!! Marlene Caravello

Anonymous said...

My bad...cannot believe I left the "a" off of Jana's name. I hope that keep her from wanting to share her fondant secrets with me. Sorry, Jana!!! Marlene Caravello