Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Medallion Christmas Tree

While I was making my medallion wreath a while back, I had the idea to use the medallions (or yo-yos, or lollies, or whatever else you'd like to call these! :)  ) to create a Christmas tree.  I'd seen them stacked into a pumpkin shape, so figured it should be pretty easy to create the tree -- and it was!  Here's my tree:



To create the medallions for the tree, I used 6 strips of paper.  They were each 12" long, and varied in width:  2.5", 2.25", 2", 1.75", 1.5", and 1.25" to be exact.  The designer series paper is Holly Berry Bouquet, from the Holiday Mini.  I also added in some strips of Wild Wasabi card stock. 

As I hot glued the layers together, I tried to angle the medallions downward to mimick the way the branches of a real tree bend.  (I've since seen other trees like this made by other artists, with the medallions layered flat, and must confess I like the way that looks a bit better . . . will have to do it that way next time I make one!)

For the base of the tree, I used an empty ribbon spool.  I wrapped a strip of designer series paper around it:


I finished the top of the tree with a bow of the 3/8" Very Vanilla Velvet Stitched Ribbon: 



Thanks for stopping by! 

- Michelle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My husband and I both love this artistic tree, Michelle! You are so clever and come up with the neatest ideas! I hope you don't mind me copying it for next year's Christmas gifts. Love it so much! Marlene Caravello