Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Fancy Valentine's Heart Box

Marlene and I are swapping again, and now that I know she's received this, I can show you a Valentine's heart box I created for our 3D Valentine item part of the swap!  I've seen others making this type of box . . . and seeing all the beautiful chocolate boxes in the stores made me think these would be fun to make with the new Heart framelits, too.  So, I decided I had to give it a try.  Here's how mine turned out:


And the side view:


To create my box, I started with two hearts cut using the largest of the Heart Framelits out of Riding Hood Red Card Stock (you could also make these using the smaller framelits . . . I just wanted to have the scalloped heart for this box).  Then, I strips of Riding Hood Red Card Stock to create the sides for the top and bottom.  I used 1-1/2" strips, then scored the strips at 3/8" using my Simply Scored Tool.  I used Sticky Strip on the small part I had created with the score, removed the Sticky Strip backing, then cut about every 1/2" (you could do that in the opposite order if you were worried about getting adhesive on your scissors).  

I attached the side for the top piece close to the edge, then repeated the process on the bottom piece, but made sure that side was adhered a little farther into the heart so that the top would fit nicely over it when I put the two pieces together.

Then, I decorated the outside of the box, using the beautiful new Blushing Bride pleated ribbon and hearts I die cut from the Everyday Elegance Designer Series Paper.  I actually embossed the outer designer series paper heart using the Vintage Wallpaper Embossing Folder.  I added a 3D card stock rose, made using the technique in this tutorial.  The rose is made out of Pink Pirouette Card Stock, and I rolled the petals tightly.  I also used some Crystal Effects and Dazzling Diamonds to make the petals glitter.  Here's a close up:


The leaves were punched out of Lucky Limeade using the Blossom Builder Punch, and then I scored the "veins" onto them using my Simply Scored Tool.

For the greeting flag, I trimmed a piece of Very Vanilla into shape, and stamped it in Riding Hood Red with the "be my valentine" greeting from the P.S. I Love You set.  I added Crystal Effects and Dazzling Diamond around the edges.

The inside of the box was filled with several small heart shaped easel note cards:


I also adhered two Pink Pirouette hearts, which I had embossed using the Vintage Wallpaper Textured Impressions Folder, into the box to line it.  Here's a better peek at the inside and at the little note-cards.  The note-cards were decorated with stamps from the P.S. I Love You Set and the Fresh Vintage Sale-a-Bration set, and a bit of Everyday Elegance Designer Series Paper.


Here's another, almost identical heart I created with a little variation on the rose:


 And, here's a close up of the rose:


I used the same technique to create this rose, but didn't curl the petals as tightly.  For this one, I used a touch of Crystal Effects and Dazzling Diamonds in the center for just a little sparkle.

Hope you enjoyed these, and they inspire you to create some fabulous Valentine hearts and projects of your own!

- Michelle

5 comments:

Patty Bennett said...

absolutely stunning!!! love it!
Patty

Connie Babbert said...

GORGEOUS!!!!!

ConnieM50 said...

What a beautiful box. I love the use of the pleated ribbon and that you filled it with cards

Katherine said...

Umm - WOW! How did you do that?

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous and even more beautiful in person!!! I don't know how you do it. You just keep getting better (if that's possible!). Marlene Caravello