Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Batty Pop-Up Card

Happy Halloween!   I thought I'd share with you what might be my favorite Halloween project that I've created this year!   Here's the outside:

Oops!  Didn't realize that when I added the ribbon and took the photo, I covered up part of the outside greeting!  Here's a photo without the ribbon:


And, when you open up the card, this is what pops up at you:



The card base is Pumpkin Pie card stock, and for the front, I layered on some Basic Black and a striped paper from the Howlstooth & Scaringbone Designer Series Paper (with a Label Framelit window cut in it for the Booglies to peek out of!  "Trick or Treat" is from the Toxic Treats stamp set, as are some of the images stamped on the inside of the card.  Other images are from the Wicked Cool stamp set, and "Boooo" is from the Googly Ghouls set.

The pop up bat is created using layers of accordion folded paper.  The folds are made every 1/2" along a 10" strip of Basic Black.  I used 5 strips total, 2 strips of 3/4" x 10", 2 of 1" x 10" and the center one is 1-1/4" x 10".  The wings were created with a Basic Black punched oval, with circle punches taken out of the bottom of the wing.  The bat's ears and teeth were made using the Petite Pennant Punch.  The eyes and fangs were attached to thin strips of paper that pop out from the accordion-folded body, so that they don't get too squished when the card is closed.  

I was inspired to create this card by an adorable card on page 181 of the 2012-2013 Catalog, which has a pop up Christmas tree in the center.  My original idea was to create a pumpkin.  Here's how my first attempt at that turned out (still needs a stem and some leaves added, and possibly a Jack o'Lantern face?):





And, here's how my first attempt at the bat turned out:




It took a bit of work to figure out how best to attach the eyes and fangs!  

Hope your day is filled with treats!  Thanks for visiting my blog!

- Michelle






No comments: