Saturday, January 14, 2017

Succulent Distractions . . .

Happy Saturday!  So, I've been supposed to be creating my make and take samples for next Sunday's Open House, but I kind of got distracted by the Oh So Succulent stamps and Framelits dies (available in a bundle and save 10%!)  I cut a bunch of pieces last night in some of the colors from the Occasions' Succulent Garden Suite -- Mint Macaron, Sweet Sugarplum, Tip Top Taupe -- plus Emerald Envy, Cucumber Crush, Very Vanilla, and I think a scrap of retired Certainly Celery might've snuck it's way into my mix of papers.  I stamped them, and then this morning, woke up and assembled them.  First, I wanted to create a miniature succulent garden in a candy tin.  Here's how that turned out:





I removed the window sheet from the top of the candy tin, filled the candy tin with some (retired, sorry!) Simply Pressed Clay (had thought about dyeing it Tip Top Taupe to look more like soil, but with the bright color of the tin, decided to leave it white and, a little hard to tell from the photos, but I pressed some microbeads into the clay for some extra sparkle).  I added a few Pearl Jewels (colored with Blendabilities) in the center of some of the succulents.  There was some printing around the base of the candy tin, so I covered it with some of the Glitter Washi Tape from last year's Sale-a-Bration to hide that and coordinate with the sparkle in my clay "soil."  

(In case you are curious on size, the tin is 2-1/2" square and about 1/2" deep.  It used to hold green tea mints.  I think it also might be cute to have the garden be contained completely within the tin so that the lid could open to reveal it, but this creation didn't turn out that way.  Maybe next time!).

After I finished my tin, I still had quite a few pieces left, and took some of the 3D pieces and arranged them in a circle.  I die cut some circles with the largest of my Layering Circles Framelits to form a base and used Tombo Multi to attach those flowers to it.  Then, I started layering some flat die cut pieces behind and around the 3D flowers.  I also attached some loops of Linen Thread behind those.  Ultimately, I ended up with this cute little wreath:


Again, I added Pearl Jewels, which I colored to coordinate with the succulents, in the center of some of the plants.  

Which of these projects is your favorite?  Would you be interested in making one or both in a class?  Please leave me a comment and let me know!  I love to hear from you.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

- Michelle

No comments: