Saturday, January 5, 2019

Altered Book Christmas Trees

While browsing Pinterest one day, I came across this Pin, which inspired me to learn how to create Christmas trees from old paperback books.  I found a very helpful tutorial here.  I ended up making a few trees, the first for a Christmas swap with my friend Marlene:


For this tree, after folding, I sponged the pages with Frost White Shimmer Paint.  I created a topper with Sparkle Glimmer Paper cut with die cuts from the Snowflake Showcase bundle and a Snowflake Element on each side:


Around the tree, I used more Sparkle Glimmer Paper die cuts, along with rolled roses created from card stock and sponged, plus leaf die cuts from card stock and book pages created with some of the Sweet Cake Framelits Dies, and flowers from the Detailed Deer Thinlits Dies:




I added pearls from the Metallic Pearls and Share What You Love Artisan Pearls to the flower centers.

After seeing a sneak peek of the Butterfly Beauty Thinlits dies  (also available as part of the Beauty Abounds Bundle from the new Occasions Catalog, I decided to create some trees adorned with butterflies.  I made one for the SUper Friends swap (as you saw a peek of in yesterday's post) and another tree for a friend who is our librarian at the school where I work (that one was made with an old copy of Winnie the Pooh, and I was able to incorporate some art from the cover into its decorations as well).  I again sponged the pages with Glimmer Paint after folding.  The die cuts for these are from either book pages (water colored with dye ink to add color) and some retired Brushed Gold Card Stock.  I also cut book pages into circles and then cut and rolled those into roses, which I spritzed with dye to color.  Here are how those trees turned out:












I am planning to offer a class or actually classes sometime soon on how to make and then how to decorate these.  Please let me know if you would be interested in attending!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog!

- Michelle

No comments: