Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Kusudama Flower Christmas Wreath

Are you all ready for Christmas?  The countdown sure is on now!  Only a few more days left!!!  So, I have a very special project to share with you today.  I was inspired by one of this years Stampin' Up! Artisan Award winners, Jodie Olver, who made the most amazing paper cake, covered with beautiful flowers.  In case you haven't seen it yet, you can see her gorgeous paper confection here

I wanted to make a Christmas wreath using the same type of flowers she did.  These flowers were originally for a form of Japanese Kusudama, and you can see the tutorial for making these flowers here.

Here's how my wreath turned out:


And, a close up of the flowers:



I used a retired Stampin Up! designer series paper to create these -- Holiday Treasures, from way back in the 2008 Idea Book!  I love the colors and patterns in this paper -- and had just the right amount left to make the wreath (it took my two 3/4 complete packages -- not quite sure how I managed to end up with two partially used packages, but at least it worked out right for this!)  From current papers, I think the Jolly Holiday Designer Series Paper or one of the Patterns Designer Series Paper Stacks would make great choices if you'd like to make a wreath of your own and don't happen to have Holiday Treasures in your stash.

For my flowers I used squares ranging in size from 2.5" to 4".  The 2.5" squares were particularly challenging to fold . . . I wouldn't recommend going smaller than that unless you are an extraordinarily patient person! 

I also discovered that I love Tombo Multi-Purpose Adhesive . . . it worked so well for gluing these petals and flowers together! 

The Pearls are from the now retired Pretties Kit, and were hot glued in the centers of the flowers, and I hot glued the flowers onto a foam circle wreath base.

I'm thinking it would be great fun to make another one of these for Valentine's Day -- in a heart shape, of course!  And, the red and pink papers from the Love Patterns Designer Series Paper, available exclusively as part of the special Filled with Love promotion would be perfect for this.  Once I finish my Christmas preparations, maybe I'll get started on that!  I'll keep you posted . . .

Thanks for stopping by!

Michelle 

16 comments:

Laura Pinto-Nguyen said...

Oh my goodness...this is absolutely gorgeous!!! So inspiring!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG, Michelle, your Kusudama Wreath is breath taking and stunningly gorgeous! Wow! How long did it take you to make that? I would love to learn how to do that. Congrats on making #1 spot on the SC Leader Boards! You go girl! Marlene Caravello

Denise said...

I saw your wreath on iStamp by Nancy Riley and had to stop by to tell you what a beautiful piece this is. Absolutely gorgeous! Now I'm going to go subscribe in hope of getting directions when you do the Valentine's wreath!

Julie Leblanc said...

I love how it turned out... thanks so much for sharing...

Stamping-hugs!
Julie

Anonymous said...

Love this wreath. I had to become a follower to see what you do next. Wow, I'm gonna surprise my sister with one of these.

Pinky Roth said...

This is amazing and I cannot imagine how long it must have taken you to create this beautiful wreath. I saw this on Nancy Riley's blog and I came to your blog to view it better. This is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scrappingnana said...

This is just beautiful. Love your choice of papers also. TFS

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle I was on iStamp with Nancy Riley and saw this breath taking wreath & wanted a closer look. I've never seen a wreath like this and it is so stunning. Thank you for sharing. I will be checking back often for more of your projects. Rosemary Reagan

Unknown said...

hiya

i was searching christmas wreaths stampin up and found this amazing creation...oh my...words do not describe the amount of work that has gone into this. it is amazing! thanks so much for sharing :>

Merlyn said...

Awesome

Merlyn said...

On seeing your Christmas wreath I want to make one like this. Will try for this Christmas

nerissa said...

i think the wreath you have done with the paper flowers is just beautiful,i made some of the paper flowers myself and put them in a plastic bauble to hang on the christmas tree,very affective,i love the little ones you have on there they are so dainty

Anonymous said...

I just think that your wreath you have made with the paper flowers is just simply stunning,i made some of these paper flowers and put them in a plastic bauble to hang on the christmas tree which worked rather well,it is amazing what you can made how of a couple of pieces of paper.
Thanks for sharing your amazing work.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Hi Michelle,

Could you please forward to me the tuturial for the wreathe - it's absolutely gorgeous.

If you have not one available - just a basic rundown would be good - as I can't work out how you have done it.

Thanks

Michelle VanWiggeren said...

Thanks, everyone, for the wonderful comments!

Marilyn, I'm also sending you this in an email, but in case others would like to see the answer, too:

For the kusudama flowers, I actually have posted tutorials on my blog . . . both photo and video, so that should really help you get started. Here's the link to the post that has the tutorials: http://michvanstamps.blogspot.com/2011/07/kusudama-tutorials-and-time-for-blog.html

To assemble the flowers into wreaths, you do need to buy a foam "wreath" form from a craft store and then hot glue the flowers onto it. When I create the wreaths, I start with some of the bigger flowers I have created and space them around the wreath, then fill in with medium, small, and even some more large flowers until the form is as full as I would like. There are some photos on my blog of the Valentine's wreath in progress. Here are links: http://www.michvanstamps.blogspot.com/2011/01/happy-new-year-im-back-finally.html and http://www.michvanstamps.blogspot.com/2011/01/valentines-kusudama-wreath-continued.html