Thursday, July 28, 2011

Kusudama Tutorials and Time for Blog Candy!!!

Several months back, I mentioned that I was working on a kusudama ball tutorial and pondered whether a kusudama ball blog candy might be of interest to anyone.  While I have been a bit distracted by random and various other projects, I have not forgotten either of those ideas! 

First things first . . . for the blog candy . . . if you would like to be the proud owner of a kusudama ball created by me, please leave me a comment on this blog post before August 6th at midnight (for those reading this on Facebook, please make sure to click through to the blog to enter your comment in the right place).  I'll use a random number generator to pick who will be the lucky recipient and announce that person the week of August 8th.  If there are enough comments (like more than 30), I will make more than one ball (although paper designs may vary from the one shown), so I can choose more than one recipient.  Here are some photos of the kusudama ball someone will receive:





Now, on to the tutorials for those who'd also like to make this project themselves!

The first step is to select the designer paper you would like to use.  For the kusudama ball above, I used four 12 x 12 sheets in two designs from the Flirtatious Designer Series Paper.  You need to make 12 flowers to make the ball, and each flower requires 5 petals, which if you do the math means you need 60 squares of paper.  The squares I used were 3 inches by 3 inches, so I was able to get 16 squares out of each designer series paper sheet (you'll have two of each design left over . . . I plan to use those to make cards!) 

Next, you will need to cut your squares. 

Then, it is time to start folding each of the petals.  To begin, bring the top corner of your square to the bottom, with the design on the outside that you would like to be on the outside of your flower.  Here's a photo of that:





Then, bring each of the outer corners to the top, like this:





Take each of those flaps, and fold in half toward the outer corner, like this:




Then, squish the flaps open like this:




Fold down the top of each of the flaps, until it is in line with the edge leading to the top, like this:




Then, fold the outer edge of each flap in half, back toward the center, like this:




Finally, put glue on one of the flaps, and attach to the other flap:






Assemble five petals together by attaching side to side.  I use Tombo Multi to do this. 

I made a video to show you how I do both the petal folding and the flower assembly.  Here it is:



After you have all 12 flowers assembled, it is time to arrange and glue them into the ball.  I divide the petals in half, and assemble each half of the ball.  I start by figuring out which will be the center flower, then place 5 flowers around that.  I hot glue in any rhinestone brad or other center I may want for the flowers, then attach the flowers to each other using hot glue. 

When both halves are finished, I create a ribbon loop for hanging the ball (this takes approximately 12 inches of ribbon . . . I simply loop it and create a knot at the other end), then hot glue that in between the two halves. 

Here's a video to show you what I mean:




Did you catch my little goof in the video?  Those are actually rhinestone brads, not rhinestones.  (It is possible to attach rhinestones, it would just be a bit more challenging!)  

Hope you will try this out.  Please be sure to leave a comment to enter for blog candy or if you have any questions! 

- Michelle

20 comments:

Peg Klitch said...

Michelle, this is lovely. I made a flower like this (single one) for the top of my granddaughter's birthday gift. You have done a fantastic job making the ball. Way to go!

Chris Galbraith said...

This is so pretty. I cans ee why it takes a lot of DSP. I may try to make one. Inpsiring!

Barbara Rathmell said...

Very pretty, thanks for sharing, can't wait to try one myself

Unknown said...

Wow yours came out so much better than mine. I guess I need to practice more or watch your video for tips I did not get in the book. LOL

TFS

Gwnne said...

Michelle thank you for the tutorial I am going to try to make it. I love these flowers...thank you for sharing and having blog candy.
Gwynne

Unknown said...

Wowsers Michelle! This is awesome! Honestly, I had to leave a comment in hopes of winning because I know myself well enough to know that I will never have the patience to try it myself!
Fantastic job on this project!

Agnes said...

Beautiful! I am also making one, I'll show you when it is done. Great video, thanks for sharing!!! I specially like the Flirtatious DSP, so pretty.

Terry Duncan said...

Boy! You make it look so easy, Michelle! I'm all thumbs, so I hope I can get them done. They're beautiful!

Jackie said...

Very nice and thanks so much for sharing how to make these. I can't wait to give it a go!

Donna said...

Thanks for posting this. I have tried to make these before, actually have a partial one at home right now. I was having trouble getting them to stay together. Now I know what to do! Thanks, I can finally finish mine.

Sandi said...

Oh my goodness, this is gorgeous. I would love to win this. You never disappoint me when I come to your blog. Always something unique, awesome directions, beautiful projects. Thank you so much!!
Sandi Dailey
gdailey@concentric.net

ConnieM50 said...

Love your selection of paper for the flowers. Thank you for doing a tutorial. And great job on the video. I am going to plan my own project now.

Margaret said...

This is just the prettiest thing ever (well, except for my baby granddaughters!) I can't imagine how many hours it would take to make one, but thans for the inspiration and tutorial.

Kallien's Kreative Rubber, Ink and Paper! said...

Michelle - Thanks for sharing! Love the video - you made it look easy. I'll be making one this weekend! Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a pretty ball. Thanks for a great video, I'm such a visual person, so being able to see how you made the pedals was great. have a great day. Eunice B

Kristi Kelly said...

These are beautiful! I would love to win one. please email me if I am the lucky winner. Kristi
kellyklan@cox.net

Anonymous said...

I just love these beauties that you make, Michelle! I am going to have to take the time to view your video and this whole process intriques me! Please do not include me in the drawing as I already have one of your amazing Kusudama projects!!! Marlene Caravello

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I saw a flower ball on Patty Stamps and had to know how this was made. Thanks for the detailed post. Love it!!!!

Jayne Stenstrom said...

Gorgeous! I've seen a lot of these, but I haven't tried to make one yet. Maybe it's time I did! Thanks for the great instructions!
~Jayne S.

Jayne Stenstrom said...

Hi Michelle! I finally got around to finishing my kusudama flower ball. If you'd like to see my completed flower (and a couple that my friends did), it's on my blog at http://www.jaynestamps.com/2011/09/kusudama-flower-ball-finished.html

I gave credit to you for your wonderful tutorial and added a link to your blog post about the flowers. Let me know if you'd rather I didn't do that. Thanks again for your instructions!