Wednesday, June 5, 2013

My Case of Kay Sha's Wizard of OWLZ

A couple months back (although somehow it seems like only a week or so ago!), I was asked to create some projects for a Wizard of Oz themed birthday party.  One of the project ideas that came up while we were looking for ideas was Kay Sha's amazing Wizard of OWLZ punch art.  If you click on the links, you can see her Scarecrow, Dorothy, Lion, and Tin Man.  We didn't end up creating these at the party, but I wanted to send a special thank you to the birthday girl and her mom for having me at the party, so I "cased" Kay Sha's punch art and came up with this card:


These were really fun to create using the Owl Punch and a variety of other punches.  And, I did end up  creating my Dorothy Owl a bit differently from Kay's.  I used paper from the Tea for Two Designer Series Paper to create a blue and white gingham-ish dress, gave her some Marina Mist bows in her hair (using half a 4-petal flower from the Itty Bitty Shapes Punch Pack on each side), white sleeves (using the 8-petal flower from the Itty Bitty Shapes pack, with 4 scallops trimmed off), and sparkly red shoes out of Red Glimmer Paper (which Stampin' Up! hadn't introduced yet when Kay designed her owlz, but now makes creating the red shoes a breeze!).  Here's my Dorothy's close up:




The rainbow paper in the background of the card was left over from some rainbow-colored paper I'd created for the birthday girl and her friends to alter and decorate composition notebooks into "Over the Rainbow" journals.  To create the rainbow paper, I started with Whisper White Card Stock, then used a Stampin' Spritzer filled with a combination of ink refills and rubbing alcohol to add one color at a time.  The colors I used, in order, were Real Red, Peach Parfait, Lucky Limeade, Tempting Turquoise, and Rich Razzleberry.  For a finishing touch and a bit of sparkle, I sprayed on some Gold Smooch Spritz:


I was having such fun spraying on the colors, I didn't notice that I was being a little too enthusiastic with my spritzing, and somehow ended up getting Razzleberry all over one of our patio chairs:


Ooops!  Fortunately, it rinsed away easily!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

- Michelle

No comments: