Saturday, July 6, 2013

Two-fer for the Tangerine Scene Tuesday Trigger Challenge

I recently came across a challenge that's new to me -- the Moxie Fab World Tuesday Trigger -- and couldn't resist playing along with their Scene in Tangerine challenge.  I love these colors -- so bright, happy, and summer-y!  Here's the Trigger photo and link to the challenge (there's still time to play along as it is open until July 14th!):



In fact, I found this so inspiring, I ended up creating two cards for the challenge!  

Here's the first one:



For this card, I first took inspiration from the colors in the Trigger photo -- I decided to use Daffodil Delight, Pumpkin Pie, and Gumball Green as the closest colors I could think of to the embroidery floss, as well as Crumb Cake and Whisper White from the ric rac holder and background fabric, respectively.  I also liked the pop of black from the embroidery floss tags and decided to incorporate that into my design by stamping my greeting in Basic Black ink.  

The ric rac in the photo reminded me of the oval chevron background stamp in the Oh, Hello stamp set, so I decided to use that.  And, I remembered seeing this gorgeous card on Gayle Wheeler's Stampingville blog, where she created an ombre technique by using sponge daubers to ink up the chevron background stamp.  I still want to try the ombre effect, but had fun using that technique with Daffodil Delight, Pumpkin Pie, and Gumball Green to create a fun background for this card's greeting.  I actually ended up sponging over the stamping as well to make the color a bit more intense and to coordinate better with the "grunge" feel of the background paper.  Here's a close up of the oval piece:   



I found the background paper in the Epic Day This and That Designer Series Paper pack, and decided to stamp it with the patterned arrow and stitched arrow images from the Oh, Hello stamp set.  I used Gumball Green ink for that.  The ribbon peeking out from behind the oval is Gumball Green Stitched 3/8" Ribbon.


For the flower, I selected the sketched flower image from the Flower Shop stamp set, since it reminded me a bit of embroidery floss.  I stamped that three times (using the Rock and Roll technique for the top image -- inking first in Daffodil Delight, then rolling the edges in Pumpkin Pie), punched out with the coordinating punch, and sponged the edges.  I used embroidery floss and created a bunch of french knots in the flower's center.  The multi-patterned flower from the Flower Shop stamp set, stamped in Gumball Green, makes some fun leaves for the flower.





The second card came together more quickly.  Using the stamp sets I already had out from the first card, I decided to stamp a line of the patterned arrow images from the Oh, Hello set in each of the three colors of ink I'd selected, onto Whisper White card stock, and then add a matching flower from the Flower Shop set along the line:


I stamped the greeting in Basic Black and the stitching in Baked Brown Sugar.  The card base is Daffodil Delight, and I added a layer of Pumpkin Pie in between that and the Whisper White stamped layer.  My flowers needed a little something extra to dress them up, and the smallest size of the new designer buttons turned out to be just the thing!  (The yellow and green are from the Regals and the orange is from the Brights collection.)



Hope these brighten your day, and hope you'll play along with the challenge, too!

Thanks,
Michelle

1 comment:

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Michelle! Thanks for linking this up to this week's Tuesday Trigger in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)