Monday, October 16, 2017

Duoprinting with Chlorophyll Cards

This summer, I saw this fabulous tutorial by Lydia Fiedler on Splitcoaststampers for Duoprinting with Chlorophyll and had to give it a try!  

First, I decided to experiment with some geraniums blooming in my front yard.  I have both deep pink and red flowers.  Here's how the printing turned out with the pink -- I was surprised at the purplish-blue that printed on the paper:


And here are the cards I created with those pieces:


I did add a bit of orange to the flower centers of the card above.  In the card below, the first photo is of the un-retouched printing and the second photo is after I decided to add a bit of Blushing Bride ink to the petals:




I used the Stitched Shapes Framelits to trim down my chlorophyll-printed cardstock, and framed those with Old Olive Card Stock cut with the a die from the Layering Ovals and Layering Squares, respectively.  The greetings on both card and Sweet Sugarplum die cut flower on the bottom card are created with the Eastern Beauty Bundle.  The patterned paper on both cards is from the Petal Garden Memories and More Card Pack.

For the red flowers, here is the piece where I am arranging the flowers before pressing:


And, here are the two pieces that were created by the pressing:


These are the three finished cards I create from these two pieces:




I again used the Stitched Shapes FramelitsLayering Ovals, Layering Circles, and Eastern Beauty Bundle.  The patterned paper on the first card is from the Petal Garden Memories and More Card Pack.  The embossing on the middle card is with the Tulip Embossing Folder (retired).  On the bottom card, the embossing is with the Layered Leaves Dynamic Embossing Folder and stamps are from the Orange Blossom set.  The ribbon is the Fresh Fig 1/8" Sheer Ribbon.

My favorite flowers that I experimented with for this technique were California poppies.  We have a variety of colors that were growing in our garden at the time, and here's how they turned out:






I did end up doing a bit of watercoloring to these to add and intensify the color a little for my finished pieces:




There were a few flowers I tried and wasn't crazy about the results -- these are some copper colored daisies:


This is actually my second attempt with these.  In the first attempt, the centers were so juicy, the result was a huge mess . . . for this attempt, I cut out most of the centers, but even still, I didn't like the brown look in the center of the printed paper . . .

One tip I figured out as a result of this part of the experiment is that the chlorophyll is a lot easier to clean from your plates if you wrap them with some type of cling wrap (like Glad Press n Seal)!

And, some African violets:





The results here weren't terrible, but the colors were much more subtle than with the geraniums and poppies.

Hope you enjoyed these and are inspired to try some Chlorophyll Duoprinting of your own!  Thanks so much for visiting my blog!

- Michelle






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post. I was checking constantly this blog and
I am inspired! Very helpful information particularly the ultimate phase
:) I deal with such information much. I was looking for this
particular info for a very long time. Thanks and good luck.