Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Pressing Spring Flowers

Spring has definitely sprung in my area, and there are so many flowers blooming right now.  I've been having fun gathering some of the flowers in my backyard and experimenting with  pressing them into paper on my Stamp, Cut and Emboss Machine.  This is a technique I've done before called duoprinting with chlorophyll. 

Here are some of my backyard flowers:









And, here are some of the papers I've made with them:


















If you'd like to try this out, I do have some tips and tricks to share!  Heavy paper like watercolor paper or Thick Basic White or Vanilla works best.  You'll sandwich the blooms between two sheets of paper, and can add a paper towel on the outside of each paper to absorb excess dye that may press out.  Just be careful not to make your sandwich too thick for your machine!

Flowers with pollen filled centers like daisies may need to have part or all of that center removed before pressing for best results.  Also the color that presses out of a flower may not be quite what you expect!

Please let me know if you have other questions about this.  Let me know if you give it a try as well!

- Michelle

No comments: