Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Egg-Stra Special Card and Shaving Cream Technique Tutorial

Hi!  Today I have an "Egg-stra" Special card and technique tutorial to share with you.  First, the card:


The basket, eggs, and greeting were created with the Basket Bunch Bundle.  The flower stamped on the background is from the Avant Garden Sale-a-Bration set. And, I used a bit of Gold Sequin Trim along the greeting to complement the Gold Foil die cut detail on the eggs. 

I created the marbled background for this card using the Shaving Cream Technique.   The colors in it are Sweet Sugarplum, Peekaboo Peach, Flirty Flamingo, Watermelon Wonder, Mint Macaron, and Cucumber Crush (yes, I went a bit crazy with In Colors!).  And, actually, you might recognize the background -- the ovals I cut out were used to create one of the three by three pieces for the March SUper Friends sampler swap (you can see my original post about that here as well): 



While I was last working with shaving cream, I took some photos so you could see how I did it.  I started by squirting some shaving cream onto some plastic trays, then randomly dropping reinker over the shaving cream:



In the photo above, the tray on the left has Peekaboo Peach, Watermelon Wonder, Flirty Flamingo, and Sweet Sugarplum reinkers dripped on the shaving cream, while the tray on the right has Emerald Envy, Cucumber Crush, Dapper Denim and Sweet Sugarplum.

Next, I took a fork and ran it lightly through the shaving cream, swirling the colors a bit to create a marbled effect:


And, now it is time to place the paper onto the shaving cream:

After you lift it up, here's what the trays look like:


They can be reused several times, and even swirled again as desired.  For the paper, I use an old spatula to scrape of the cream and ink mixture, and may finish by wiping with a paper towel.


(Before you scrape, you could also place another piece of paper on top of these, press lightly, peel apart, and then "shave" off the cream and ink mixture from both pieces to make more background pieces at once).

Here is a card I made using one of the pieces with the Peekaboo Peach, Watermelon Wonder, Flirty Flamingo, and Sweet Sugarplum inks (you can read more about it in this previous post):


Please let me know if you try this technique - would love to see what you create!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog!

- Michelle

No comments: