Friday, June 18, 2010

Father's Day Cards

My Father's Day Card classes were this past Monday, and I had fun creating three different cards for that.  Here they are:





I've seen several versions of shirt cards, and for this one, I adapted instructions I found on Familyfun.com.  The shirt front is a single piece of 4.25 x 5.5" Bashful Blue Card Stock.  One inch long cuts were made at each side of the top, exactly 1 inch from the top, and then folded inward to create the collar.  The tie was cut out from Travel Journal Designer Series paper, and the small round buttons are Itty Bitty Buttons.  The shirt pocket was punched with the Small Tag Punch.  The shirt front was then glued to a 4.25 x 4.25" Bordering Blue card base (made from a folded 4.25 x 8.5" piece).  I thought keeping the shirt front separate from the base would make the card easier to open than the one in the original instructions!  The shirt pocket is fun -- it is attached with Sticky Strip on the sides and bottom, so a small message could be tucked in there.

The All in the Family card came from an idea my oldest son Daniel had.  He wanted to use a Tempting Turquoise card base and draw family figures on it (I'll have to see if he'll let me show you what he came up with!)  I used Top Note Die Cuts for the family images and also for the inside messages.  There is a piece of Tangerine Tango along the bottom, and a piece of Real Red 5/8" Satin Ribbon tied around the card.  Then, attached to the ribbon is a ribbon/badge that Dad can remove and wear -- it's made from a piece of round chipboard attached to a Real Red Scallop Circle cut with the 2-3/8" Extra Large Scallop Circle (a sneak peek item from the new Idea Book and Catalog!).  The message was stamped on that in Pacific Point.  A folded piece of 5/8" Real Red Satin Ribbon was added to that, and a pin was attached to the back.

Finally, the star background card is simple but uses a fun technique that I saw on Dawn Oleschefske's blog -- making your own texture plate for the Big Shot!  Dawn has a video on her blog that shows how to make the plate using Die Cuts, but it turns out it is also possible to cut the lighter chipboard (from the back of Designer Series Paper packages) with Stampin' Up!'s punches.  So, I used the Small and Large Star punches to create my texture plate.  After the running the Card Stock through the Big Shot on the texture plate, we sponged Champagne Mist Shimmer Paint onto the stars for some fun yet still-masculine-enough bling!

Happy Father's Day weekend to everyone!

-Michelle

No comments: