Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Tea for Two Easter Basket


At a recent workshop, I had fun showing the attendees this Easter basket, which is so easy to make, but can be dressed up to be a real "Wow" project!   


(In case you've never made one of these, here are the basic directions:  this basket starts as a 6x6" square, and is scored at 2" and 4" and then turned and scored again.  You could do this with any size square, though, and just score at 1/3 and 2/3 of the length.  The result is that the original square is divided into 9 square sections.  You cut along the side edges of the left-side center square, stopping at the corner of the middle square, and then repeat that with the right-side center  square.  Then, fold up into the basket shape, and secure with a brad or glue.  The handle is a strip of paper . . . here, I used a 1/2" strip.  I rounded the corners on the sides of the basket -- and, actually the easiest way to explain that, I guess, is to say I just used a corner rounder punch on the corners of the large square that you start the project with, and then it will work out right.  Hope that makes sense -- guess I should have made a tutorial -- this is one of those projects that is much easier to show in pictures than explain in words!)

I love the Tea for Two Designer Series Paper from the Spring Catalog, and used a pattern from it to decorate my basket.  Then, used a Designer Build a Brad on each side to add a beautiful decorative touch, while also serving the function of holding the basket and handle together.  On top of the Build a Brad, I added a piece of Flower Trim, which I sponged with Island Indigo.  The little leaves are punched out from Lucky Limeade card stock using the Bird Builder Punch.  Here's a close up:


I also added a little tag on the basket -- you can see a hint of it in this photo, although unfortunately it is turned away from the camera:


Here's a close up of it:

To create the tag, I started with one of the mini Soda Pop Tops, and I "smushed" it in my Big Shot.  I stamped the script background from Collage Curios in So Saffron and then the butterfly image in Island Indigo, on a piece of Very Vanilla cardstock.  I punched that out using the circle from the Itty Bitty Trio Punch Pack.  I adhered that to the Soda Pop Top, then added a layer of Crystal Effects over the top.  The Soda Pop top is mounted on a piece of Very Vanilla which I punched out using the 7/8" Scallop Circle Punch.  I attached my little tag to the basket using a piece of Lucky Limeade Baker's Twine.

There's still time to whip up a few of these if you need a clever way to package up some little Easter treats!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

- Michelle


No comments: