Friday, June 3, 2011

Pocket Full of (Ribbon) Posies

A little while back, my amazingly talented friend Marlene Caravello challenged me to create a 3D flower card for a swap we were doing.  Well, I'd seen lots of ribbon flowers--including some beauties by my also amazingly-talented friend Jana Weaver-- who inspired me for these!  So, I decided to try making some of my own. 

To create them, I simply took a length of ribbon, a length of thread, and ran long stitches down the length of the ribbon, usually along the bottom of it (I also experimented with stitching through the middle, and that gives neat results, too).  Once I started, I had trouble stopping . . . lots of little scraps of ribbon I'd been saving suddenly were put to good use as flowers!  The end result was literally a pocket full of ribbon flowers! 


(I am keeping my flower stash in a felt basket I created using the Baskets and Blooms die.  I was disappointed to see this die on the Last Chance List, but the good news is, if you don't already have it, you can get it for 25% off, while supplies last.)

Anyway, the next step was to create a card with these!  Here's what I created for my swap with Marlene (with apologies for the somewhat washed-out picture):




For the flowers, I used Daffodil Delight 3/8" Taffeta (also on the Last Chance List) and Whisper White 3/8" Taffeta Ribbon.  I put my Whisper White Ribbon flower on top of my Peach Parfait ink pad and sponged it until the ribbon absorbed enough ink to be the color I wanted.  The center of the peach flowers is a Glimmer Brad from the Brights set.  The flowers are attached using Mono Multi to a piece of Card Stock Vellum, which I had stamped on one side with the flower image from the Just Believe set.  On the other side, I sponged Marina Mist, Peach Parfait and Old Olive ink to create the soft background colors. 

Here's a closer view of the flowers and frame:



Around the focal image is a frame cut out with the Scallop Oval Frame Die and Big Shot.  I stamped around the frame with part of an image from the Four Frames set (this was a sneak peek set back in April, which will be available again July 1st with the new Idea Book & Catalog).  I also added some small pearls from the Basic Pearls around the frame. 

The greeting is from the Just Believe set, stamped in Old Olive, and punched out with the Word Window Punch.  I sponged that with Daffodil Delight ink, then layered it onto a Peach Parfait piece, punched out with the Modern Label Punch.  Again, I added some small pearls.

The designer series paper in the background is from the Paisley Prints Designer Series Paper pack, which was also part of the sneak peek back in April, and will be available again on July 1st when the new Idea Book is released. 

The base of the card is Marina Mist.  And, you can see in the photo, I stamped the envelope with a portion of the stamp from the Four Frames set, to coordinate with the design around the frame on the card.

Hope you like this project!  Stay tuned for another card created with some of the 3D flowers I made . . .

Thanks for stopping by! 

- Michelle

2 comments:

Sillyfilly said...

Your card is beautiful and I love the flowers.

Anonymous said...

I love this too, Michelle! What an awesome piece of artwork and so lucky to have a 3D version of my own!!! I just love your idea! Marlene Caravello