Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentine's Day!  Hope you have had a great day.  It was a busy one, but good, here.  The boys really enjoyed their classroom Valentine's exchanges -- they came home and spent a good bit of time looking over their "haul" and figuring out which candies to eat first! 

I wanted to share with you what we created for each boy's class.  For my little guy, we used a sweet stamp set called Blowing Kisses.  Here's the card:



The image was stamped in Basic Black ink on watercolor paper, and then I used watercolor pencils and blender pen to color it.  I made the bubbles sparkle by covering them with Crystal Effects and Dazzling Diamonds glitter. 

The watercolor paper was layered onto Bashful Blue card stock, and then onto a Red Riding Hood base, which had been rolled with the Language of Love wheel from the Occasions Mini.  We live in a very international area, and I had to have this wheel when I saw it because it has love in so many different languages, that would be great fun to use on the boys' Valentines.

We had also created a fun sailing ship holder for his Valentines, using a tissue box and an idea from the February issue of Family Fun magazine -- here's a look at that:




The tissue box, er, I mean ship, was covered with Whisper White and Basic Black cardstock strips, and I used rolled up Basic Black strips for the smokestacks.  The ribbon/trim is Riding Hood Red taffeta from a past Holiday Mini.  The portholes are black circles, which Timothy decorated with heart stickers.  And, the water was created using a circle punch along the top of a strip of Marina Mist.

For my second grader's card, we created something a bit more interactive.  He really liked the idea of a spinner card using the new Take a Spin set.  Here's one of his cards:





This card uses a Real Red base, and the wheel was stamped three times -- once in Real Red ink, once in Tangerine Tango, and finally in Rich Razzleberry.  I then cut out the Tangerine and Razzleberry pieces I wanted to add to the spinner and "paper pieced" them on.  There's a circle of the new Red glitter paper in the center, and I added punched pieces of the Red Glitter Paper to the ends of the spinner.  While I was making these, I tried to take a video with my method for attaching the spinner so it will spin smoothly.  Once I figure out how to edit and upload the video, I'll try to post it here.  Fingers crossed I can make it work!

Thanks so much for stopping by! 

- Michelle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the ship idea! I think it is wonderful that you involved your children in the art of stamping! That spinner card had an interesting spin on it with the decorative attachments to the spinner hands. Very cool stuff! Marlene Caravello